Friday, March 26, 2010

phd update- attitude

arrive at uni - 10 am

10.25 - went to my 2nd SV's room - need to introduce myself to him, Dr Anthony, since we haven't meet yet although prof Mike already told him about me. he's not in, but left a note at the door " I will be here at 11am, sorry for any inconvenient", for me this is good, so people will not keep wondering when you will be in...so i decided to go to level 9, check out about the 4-probe equipment, whether i can find someone who i can get help with that.

10.30 -arrive at level 9, met another PG fellows, one is my officemate, chinese guy, Jerry and another one is Iran lady, use to be at Sensor Lab. Fortunately, they are running measurement using the same equipment, only that they didnot use 4-probe, i followed them to get into the lab (which i don't have a legal access to it yet)..this lady's face changed, what i could describe from that face sign, its like saying to me in silence..'you are not welcome here'... quickly and softly i told them.."no don't worry, i don't want to use the equipment today, just want to know where the location of it"..then her face lighten a bit and she just continue her work and pretending like i am not there....

well frankly speaking, i kind of used to that kind of treatment from people, it is not bothering me at all, mentally, psychologically and emotionally..and Jerry nicely told to me that i need to book the equipment, need to meet Dr Anthony who is the person incharge of the equip, bla bla bla....

no problem at all, i said..and
before i leave them, i rised my voice a bit (in purpose to confirm that the iran lady will listen to what i wanna say, heheh), " Ow, thank you Jerry, well dr Anthony is my second SV, so i am sure he will help me with this.."then I chow.....no offence :) cheers

talking about experience on this:-

When you are in the new lab that you need to do measurements, have no idea at all who will you meet, which equipment to use, what precaution to take, where to find materials, etc...
you need to find someone who willing to show you all of these stuffs, but most likely, what you will be facing is that when you enter the lab that is new to you, everybody are so busy with their work, not even lift their head for a while to notice who's coming in...and you will be wondering where to start, what to say, who you want to talk to..

but when their mates (friends) or some other persons who i assume will give them some benefits on their work come in, wow, you can obviously see the differences, how those persons changing drastically from that serious-don't-disturb'me attitude to like a 'marketing people' who beg you to buy their products.. with all the smilings, the laughs, the " how r you today" greetings, blehhh...

there are some malaysian students also using the same lab, and i am sure i can get much help from them InsyaAllah, eventhough they are rarely using it for now, maybe the measurements stage were completed, i don't know but i hope maybe i can 'beg' them to help me...so i need to learn how to 'beg' in professional manner, heh

yaa, i need to consider their freetime, busy-ness, etc as well, cannot just simply, because you are also malaysian, i am older than you, so come and spend sometimes and teach me about this...no no no..i still need to respect their time, their privacy, their busy-ness, etc..

if they could not help me, then i need to 'push' myself to 'beg' other non-malaysian PG to help me, and most probably i will facing the same treatment from them...

well that is one of the listless big challenges of learning phd ABROAD!!..if i am doing it in my own country, to make it more 'sweet', doing it in the university that i used to be working in..haaahh, it will be like in heaven ..but still you will facing other major, bigg challenges ..no doubt about that...

thats why i guess, in one of the other concrete reasons, people will give you more respect, more honour if you are phd holder, because the challenges, difficulties, struggles to achieve it are un-describable, un-explainable, in words. and only the person who experienced it will know....

actually, when i decided to pursue my phd abroad, this is the first thing i set my mind and emotion to be VERY strong on, 'PEOPLE ATTITUDE'...

because when dealing with people we are like dealing with another system., we don't know the limitation of 'kindness', of 'cruelness', of 'careness' of them.....

other than that, about how i spend my time doing my research, how i manage my time, work, family, etc..it is all on me..ONLY ME....

by the way, to continue the updates for today, i went to Dr Anthony's office again around 11am.

11am - i met Dr Anthony, very nice guy, set another appointment with him for next week, on tuesday, 9.30am, since he already expecting another student meeting at that time...

hemm.. well, why i am writing in english today, i really don't know, but probably, because of the environment influences, hehe..

and yes, there might be grammar mistakes here and there i guess, but why should i be bother, i am not born with english on my tongue!, LOL,..what people use to call it?.. english is not my mother tongue..:P

i am malaysian who always proud to be MUSLIM- MALAYSIAN..speaking english is just a way to ease you in communication here, as long as you can tell what you want to tell and the person you are talking to, understand what you are saying..that's enough..REALLY.. ITS ENOUGH..

No comments: